Smoke forces North Side hotel evacuation

Elevator motor overheated at Embassy Suites, no injuries were reported

Published On: Dec 31 2012 07:10:31 AM CST
embassy hotel evacuation
SAN ANTONIO -

Smoke forced the evacuation of dozens of guests at a North Side hotel late Sunday night.

The smoke was reported around 10:30 p.m. at the Embassy Suites at Highway 281 and Jones Maltsberger Road.

San Antonio firefighters said an elevator motor overheated and caused smoke to spread through the building.

As many as 200 staff and guests were evacuated, but were allowed to return 10 minutes later, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported and fire officials said no one was on the elevator when the motor overheated.