Stone Oak SUV owner shoots 2 burglary suspects, kills 1

Police: Charges not likely against Stone Oak SUV owner

Author: Katrina Webber, Reporter, kwebber@ksat.com
Published On: Jan 30 2013 03:01:28 PM CST   Updated On: Jan 15 2013 07:34:46 AM CST
stone oak burglar shooting
SAN ANTONIO -

A 25-year-old Stone Oak man is not expected to face charges after shooting two men he allegedly caught breaking into his SUV, killing one.

San Antonio police responded to the scene at Lightstone Drive and Stonepath shortly before 2 a. m. Tuesday.

They found a 32-year-old man dead inside a car which had crashed into a parked vehicle, as well as a 37-year-old man who had been shot at least twice, according to SAPD spokesman, Officer Matthew Porter.

The 37-year-old man was rushed to San Antonio Military Medical Center in stable condition, Porter said. The SUV owner told police he was protecting his property.

He said he heard a noise outside his home and, armed with a handgun, went outside to investigate, Porter said.

The SUV owner said he found a man breaking into his vehicle, and fired at least two shots when the suspect turned on him, Porter said.

The second suspect, the 32-year-old, was shot and killed as he attempted to drive away in the getaway car, Porter said.

The suspects’ vehicle then hit a parked car. Police did not immediately release any names.

Porter said it did not appear that detectives would be charging the SUV owner. However, he said the investigation is in its early stages.

For a list of recent stories Katrina Webber has done, click here.