SAN ANTONIO -

A Justice of the Peace in Bexar County declined to issue nearly 10,000 misdemeanor warrants since January, something he blamed on staffing shortages.

Judge Keith Baker, JOP in Precinct 3, lost one-half of a position in his clerk department due to budget cuts earlier this year.

He claimed the cut only allowed him to file 50 warrants, leaving about 10,000 left to be served.

County Commissioner Kevin Wolff said that was not acceptable, however, as the other JOP’s were serving the appropriate amount of warrants despite cuts to their offices.

Wolff demanded the warrants be served.

Through the assistance of the Bexar County District Attorney’s office, approximately 2,900 outstanding warrants were served this week, with the remaining 7,000 or so to be delivered in the next few weeks.

“That means that if you have reason to believe you will get a warrant for a misdemeanor not previously taken care of, you should do it immediately,” said District Attorney Susan Reed. “Otherwise, you could very easily have a warrant put out for your arrest.”

Baker is retiring from his position, something Wolff claimed was a decision entirely of his own making.

County Commissioners will begin to decide on how to replace him for the remainder of his term on Oct. 9.

For a list of recent stories Matt Rivers has done, click here.