Water heater blamed in fire that displaced senior citizen, dog
Petra Charles, 92, escapes safely; firefighters rescue dog
Petra Charles, 92, has been reunited with her beloved dog, Lucky, after a fire that drove them from their South side home early Thursday morning.
A passerby called 911 after seeing smoke pouring from the home in the 100 block of Koepke Avenue around 2:30 a.m.
Charles had already escaped on her own.
But San Antonio firefighters said they had to stop her from going back into the home to find her dog.
They eventually located the animal and returned him to Charles, who greeted him with open arms.
“That's her companion,” said her grandson, Carl Charles, explaining why the senior citizen was willing to risk her life. "That keeps her company … so it was very important to get her dog."
While firefighters managed to save the pet from harm, Charles’ home sustained quite a bit of damage, most of it from smoke.
Carl Charles said his grandmother will have to stay with family for the foreseeable future.
“She's doing OK. Luckily, she was outside when the fire happened,” he said. “She keeps saying she wants to go home.”
But her grandson said as long as she has Lucky, she should be OK.
For a list of recent stories Katrina Webber has done, click here.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.