A gas leak caused by construction work on Marbach Road caused the evacuation of several homes and a day care Tuesday evening.
According to San Antonio Fire Department Battalion Chief Brian Lee, the leak prompted police officers and firefighters to ask 40 people to evacuate, including several children at a day care center.
“It's a fairly significant risk. We need to be very conservative in case it were to ignite,” said Lee.
Residents were asked to walk to the end of the block rather than drive their cars in order to avoid causing a spark, Lee said.
“As soon as we walked out of the house, we could smell it,” said Annette Garcia, who lives nearby.
After about an hour, CPS Energy workers shut off the gas and began the process of capping the gas main. People were then allowed to return to their homes.