San Antonio Metro Health recently handed out failing scores to a pair of Taco Cabana restaurants.
The Taco Cabana located in the 6800 block of Highway 90 West failed their routine health inspection with 39 demerits.
- The inspector reported "clouds of gnats" in two parts of the kitchen.
- There were food temperature and food-handling concerns.
- The staff, including the manager, weren't washing their hands correctly.
- The inspector also told them to clean everything.
The Taco Cabana located at 12030 Perrin Beitel failed their latest inspection with 31 demerits. Their violations included:
- Their salsa bar wasn't cold enough.
- Utensils used to handle raw and prepared foods were sitting in the same container -- a cross contamination risk.
- Cleaning was needed, especially since mold was found in the ice machine.
It is rare for Taco Cabana to fail health inspections, let alone two of their restaurants.
The company's chief operating officer sent KSAT Behind the Kitchen Door a statement that read:
"We take our food quality and safety practices very seriously at Taco Cabana. Upon hearing of the results of the inspections, we promptly took corrective action and we passed both [follow-up] inspections that took place about a week later. In addition, we re-trained the restaurant teams to help ensure future compliance to food safety requirements."
The following restaurants received perfect scores during their latest inspection by Metro Health:
- Bob's Steak & Chop House located at 6815 Rim Pass Drive (Near The Rim.)
- Krispy Kreme Donuts located at 12328 Interstate 10 West near De Zavala Road.
- Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits located at 4535 Rittiman Road.
- Victoria's Black Swan Inn located at 1006 Holbrook. (A wedding venue on the Salado Creek near Rittiman.)