SAN ANTONIO -

A fire that caused damage to a four-unit building at the Blanco Crossing Apartments is believed to have been started by an electrical problem.

Battalion Chief Thomas McNulty, with the San Antonio Fire Department, said because of the physical evidence at the scene and information from residents, it appears the fire was accidental.

"We had several reports from residents of this apartment and others of previous electrical shorts that have been occurring,” McNulty said.

McNulty said firefighters were called to the complex, located in the 13900 block of Old Blanco Road, shortly before 4 a.m. Wednesday and found heavy flames coming from a two-story apartment.

Everyone in the building already had made it out safely, with the help of neighbor Will Dorothy, who happened to notice the fire.

“I got the late night munchies, went to the gas station, got some chocolate milk,” he said. “On the way back, I noticed a little light flickering on the porch."

It didn’t take long for that flicker to become flames.

Dorothy said within minutes, there was a full-blown fire, and he quickly tried to alert everyone in the apartments.

“Once I knocked on everybody's door, I called 911 and ran around back. I tried to spray it with the fire extinguisher, which wasn't very helpful,” Dorothy said.

Still, firefighters believe his actions may have saved lives.

"He certainly made a difference in alerting the residents. That was a big deal that he knocked on the doors," McNulty said.

While there were no injuries, at least two families have been displaced.

A woman who identified herself as the vice president of the property said two of the four units involved already were vacant.

She said it was unclear where the displaced residents will go next because she had not had a chance to speak with them.

For a list of recent stories Katrina Webber has done, click here.