The family of a University of the Incarnate Word student shot to death by a campus police officer released a public statement on Tuesday, the first since his death early Friday morning.

"We are grieved by the tragic and unnecessary death of our son Cameron. He was a wonderful, loving young man, intelligent, compassionate, and idolized by his four brothers. We have a close, loving family, who will be struggling to adjust to life without our son and brother. He will be missed every day. We have not even begun to think about what life will be like without him. We are blessed to have a loving church family and friends in Baytown who are taking care of us, and our faith in God will sustain us as we grieve.

"We are thankful for all the prayers and messages from Cameron’s friends and professors in the Incarnate Word community. They, like our family, are grieving his loss. Our hearts are with them. They have lost a friend who cared for them.  

"Cameron was in his last year at Incarnate Word University. He had done well as a Dean’s List student and was preparing for life in business after college. We have learned from his friends and professors in the last few days just how much they admired and respected Cameron and expected him to be a success in life. He spent Thursday evening with friends celebrating the end of the fall semester.

"Cameron died early on Friday morning in the parking lot of the Treehouse Apartments in Alamo Heights from gunshots fired by a campus police officer employed by Incarnate Word University. The investigating authorities quickly cleaned up the scene and even searched his apartment before we arrived in San Antonio.

"Several media reports state that the campus police officer observed Cameron driving erratically on Broadway and followed him to the Treehouse Apartments. The officer reported that Cameron got out of his truck at the apartment parking lot and initiated a struggle with the officer. Our family does not believe the officer’s report. Cameron has never been an aggressive or confrontational person. Cameron’s friends have said the same thing about him. For him to confront a police officer would be completely out of his character.

"We understand that the Texas Rangers and Alamo Heights police have begun a formal investigation into events leading to Cameron’s death. We are confident, because we knew Cameron, that the investigation will show that Cameron was not armed when the police officer shot him. We question the campus officer’s decision to follow an unknown person from an off-campus location to his off-campus apartment. Cameron drove his truck to his designated, covered parking spot at the Treehouse Apartments off Grandview Place in Alamo Heights. Even if Cameron was driving erratically, he presented no threat to the campus police officer or anyone else once he parked his truck. We expect all official reports to confirm that Cameron’s death was unnecessary and unjustified.

"Funeral services for Cameron will be held on Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm at Memorial Baptist Church,600 West Sterling Ave., Baytown, Texas 77520. We invite all our and Cameron’s friends to join us in celebrating Cameron’s life."

According to university officials, Cameron Redus, 23, grabbed the baton of a UIW police officer during a struggle that resulted in Redus' death.

Redus had been pulled over after the officer -- identified as Cpl. Chris Carter -- said he was speeding and driving erratically.

Carter said Redus resisted arrest and struggled with him, took his baton and assaulted him with it.

Carter fired his gun six times, hitting Redus five times, killing him.

On Monday, UIW officials released a statement detailing the events that lead up to Redus' death.