Dozens of San Antonio firefighters battled flames and the extreme heat Monday night when they responded to a house fire on the North Side.
The fire broke out around 7 p.m. at a home located in the 100 block of Jardin Vista off Hardy Oak.
SAFD Chief Charles Hood said no one was home when the fire started, however the fire claimed the life of a cat and the family dog suffered smoke inhalation.
Hood said because of the high temperatures extra fire fighters were dispatched.
"Our main concern on a fire like this is the heat, as far as re-hydrating our firefighters and rehabbing them," Hood said. "These men and women have to work 24 hours so they still have the remainder of their shift to go."
The fire appeared to have started on the back side of the home on a covered patio and the flames rapidly spread to the attic.
Firefighters managed to save the home and most of its contents.
Investigators were still looking for what sparked the fire but said it did not appear to be suspicious and was likely accidental.