SAN ANTONIO -

Residents of east Bexar County were forced to evacuate their homes late New Year's Eve after a fire burned hundreds of portable toilets at United Site Service in the 8500 block of Interstate Highway 10 East.

Ralph Ramirez said it was about 10:30 p.m. when one of his children told him that there was a fire outside their backyard.

"It lit up real quick in a matter of minutes," Ramirez said. "I think if the fire department would have taken 10 minutes longer, it would have taken out my house and the neighbor's house. That's how close it got."

The fire burned for nearly five hours. "Some of my windows were cracked," Ramirez said. "My roof is all shredded up from the heat and when they were watering down that roof, it was steaming."

Ramirez said fire crews believe a stray firework ignited the grass fire that spread to the business.

"I figured something like that would happen," Ramirez said. "There's a lot of people (who) shoot fireworks. So I figured something would happen like that sooner or later."

Images: Massive fire destroys portable toilets

Published On: Jan 02 2014 04:08:39 AM CST   Updated On: Jan 02 2014 04:31:49 AM CST

Images of a massive fire that destroyed 350 portable toilets outside San Antonio.

Porta fire 1
1 / 11

For a list of recent stories Stephanie Serna has done, click here.