SAN ANTONIO -

San Antonio fire crews rescued a man trapped in a downtown hotel elevator Tuesday evening.

According to fire officials, the man was trapped inside an elevator at the El Tropicano Hotel on Lexington Avenue around 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Officials said the control panel shorted out and caught fire, causing the elevator to malfunction.

Crews were called to the scene after some guests reported a smell of smoke.

Hotel guests were evacuated as a precaution. The man made it out of the elevator safe and no injuries were reported.