SAN ANTONIO -

A gas leak is suspected of causing an explosion and fire that injured a South Side woman and destroyed her home.

San Antonio firefighters who responded to the fire around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday said they found the victim standing outside her home in the 2400 block of W. Gerald Avenue. The woman had suffered serious burns.

Firefighters said she told them she had a lit cigarette in her hand when she got up to use the restroom, then suddenly heard an explosion.

"The burns were to her hands and face and were consistent with, maybe, a pilot light going out-a spark from the cigarette lighter igniting the gas," said Battalion Chief Jacob Mendiola with the San Antonio Fire Department.

The woman was rushed to San Antonio Military Medical Center for treatment.

San Antonio fire investigators said it appears the fire was accidental. They estimate the damage at about $65,000.

For a list of recent stories Katrina Webber has done, click here.