Grandmother severely burned after lit candle catches nightgown on fire

Frances Cantu, 79, suffered second-, third-degree burns

Author: Matt Rivers, Video Journalist, mrivers@ksat.com
Published On: Jul 08 2013 05:08:38 PM CDT   Updated On: Jul 08 2013 05:24:13 PM CDT
SAN ANTONIO -

An elderly woman sustained severe burns across 80 percent of her body Monday, after fire officials said she caught her nightgown on fire while lighting a candle.

Frances Cantu, 79, was taken by medical helicopter to the San Antonio Military Medical Center just after noon on Monday.

Her condition was not made available.

The fire spread quickly to the rest of her home, destroying it before firefighters could do anything, investigators said.

Cantu's daughter-in-law, Betty Tello, saw Cantu soon after it happened.

"I saw her running out of the house and she was completely on fire," said Tello, in between sobs. "It was terrible."

A neighbor quickly dialed 911.

"You don't even think twice about doing that, you just get on the phone," said Isabel Flores, who called emergency personnel.

Multiple firefighting agencies responded to the fire, which was contained shortly after firefighters arrived on scene.

For a list of recent stories Matt Rivers has done, click here.