SAN ANTONIO -

A house fire on the city's West Side on Wednesday afternoon was blamed on children playing with fireworks inside the home.

San Antonio fire officials said the fireworks caught the Christmas tree on fire and then spread throughout the home.

"The problem with the trees at this time; they've been sitting for so long, they've dried up," said San Antonio Fire Department Capt. Roger Lopez. "Once the fireworks actually got into it, it went up pretty much like a matchstick."

Four adults and two children and their three pets safely got out of the home. The family is still searching for two of its cats.

The home was considered a total loss.