A man suffered burns to his hands and was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at his West Side home late Monday night.
Flames broke out around 10:45 p.m. at a home in the 200 block of Pace Street, located off San Jacinto Street.
San Antonio firefighters saw heavy smoke and flames and were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to neighboring homes.
"Within minutes, you could see the flames coming out of the roof," said Stephanie Blakely, who lives next door.
Blakely said the injured man and a woman live at the home and asked her to call 911, but did not evacuate because they were searching for their pet.
"They didn't want to get out. They were trying find that dog. I was just like, 'Get out. Get out,'" she said. "He looked like he was right here by the fence, and I never saw her at first, and I guess she was in the back, and he had to go back in there. I think that's when he got burned."
Fire officials said the pet made it out safely and the woman did not suffer any injuries. The man who suffered burns was treated at the scene.
Damages were estimated at $20,000, fire officials said. The cause of the fire is believed to be a malfunction in a space heater in the bedroom.
The American Red Cross was called to assist the couple.