A hit-and-run driver struck a pedestrian who police said was standing by his truck because it ran out of gas early Tuesday morning.
San Antonio police responded to the hit-and-run accident around 2:30 a.m. on Loop 410 near Exchange Parkway.
Witnesses told police the victim ran out of gas and called his friends for help. He was standing by the driver's side door when someone drove by and struck the truck and then the man.
Police said one of the victim's friends was inside the pickup truck attempting to start it and another was standing in front of the truck, but they were not injured.
Police did not release a description of the vehicle that struck the truck, but said it would have extensive damage to the passenger side.
The victim, a man in his early 20s, was taken to University Hospital in serious condition, police said.
On Tuesday afternoon, San Antonio police issued the following tips for motorists having car issues:
· Don’t panic!
· Remain in vehicle if possible, at all costs
· Activate hazard lights/headlights for visibility purposes
· Conserve phone battery
· If you have a flat, drive to closest parking lot to change tire (even if it means replacing the rim)
· Do not flag down help on the side of the roadway
· If help is needed and no cell phone is available walk away from the road to find help or call for assistance
· If you must pull over do so in a grassy area away from the roadway if possible
· Lock all doors and roll up all windows
· Keep car emergency kit in vehicle
· If you have been involved in an accident drive to safe location and call police, do NOT get out of vehicle in the roadway