SAN ANTONIO -

A woman and her infant grandson escaped a house fire Sunday in the 300 block of Delaware Street.

Luis Revelez said his grandmother was asleep when the fire started, but was woken up by a phone call.

“She had just got a phone call from my nephew,” Revelez said. “She went to the restroom. smelled something funny, and come out through the back.”

The woman called her neighbor, Gilbert Caceres, who said he would come over and check it out.

When Caceres came outside Revelez was just pulling up to the home.

“I come in, open up the door (and see) smoke. You could feel the heat,” Revelez said. “My mom’s coming out the driveway and says, ‘No don’t go in there.’”

Revelez said he and Caceres tried to minimize the damage.

“We got the water hose and tried to put it out, but by that time flames had just blown up,” Caceres said.

Neighbors reported seeing flames from hundreds of yards away.

Fire crews arrived and extinguished the fire.

No one was injured.

Officials estimate the damage to be between $15,000 and $20,000.

The family has home insurance.

Revelez said the home is usually packed, but multiple family members were out of town.

“(We’re) real fortunate,” he said. “It’s that phone call. It’s strange.”