OCCUPATION: Architectural Services Provider
EDUCATION: 5 Year Advanced Degree of Architecture (B of Arch), and Masters of Science in Management Degree.
FAMILY: I have three brothers and my Mom. My Dad passed away last September.
WHY ARE YOU RUNNING FOR CITY COUNCIL? To better the living conditions of the citizens of District 7. Our urbanization in District 7, streets and sidewalks have badly fallen into disrepair. I would like to better Bandera Road being that is the main corridor on District 7, by taking care of basics in our district, starting with the maintenance of roads and sidewalks, reducing crime by promoting business growth, therefore bringing more jobs and prosperity. And by strengthening our police forces and fire department, this is a must in bringing safety to our community
HAVE YOU RUN FOR CITY COUNCIL BEFORE? No
WHAT PREVIOUS LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE? Various volunteered board, committees for non for profits, and professional positions in the Architecture Industry.
Throughout my career in the Architecture Industry I had been invited to participate in design competitions, where my works have won the respect of my peers and other professionals, who in turn have given me design awards for my work, one being the First Price Award from Vidaud Architecture and Associates, for a residential design. Personally, I have organized and/or participated as board member or volunteer in many non-profit organizations and groups helping minority children, churches, unwed mothers, art events, international High School students, PK-8th grade students, elderly, homeless, and many other beneficiaries. Some include the Aspen Deaf Camp, Summit for Life, AIA Tour of Homes, St. Mary Magdalen, Hope for the Future, Special Olympics, Providence Home and Family Services and many more.
Please visit the selected list at: <http://www.carloszaldivar.com/BiographyAndAccomplishments.html>
WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH IF ELECTED TO THE CITY COUNCIL? I have already organized a volunteer based Urban Planning Committee, so to design the first District 7 Master Plan, and without having to burden the taxpayers in my District, the limitations have been hit. I strongly believe that Safety follows Order, Order eliminates Crime, and there is nothing better than to design an Order inspired urbanization plan for District 7. Putting into effect the Urban Master Planning for District 7 will be an incentive for developers and business investors, to invest in District 7, this plan will attract the moneys it needs to be developed. And it will not only reduce crime, beautify our streets and curve appeal, but it will make jobs. I’m proposing bringing together District 7 through Bandera Road, which is our unifying road.
WHAT ARE THE MOST DIFFICULT CHALLENGES FACING THE CITY OF SAN ANTONIO? Small Business Growth, Water, Street Maintenance, making good use of our resources.
WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST OBSTACLES FACING ECONOMIC GROWTH IN SAN ANTONIO? Over Taxation, Over Regulation, Zoning, Codes, compliance, and too little sense of a small business friendly environment. We have thousands of empty retail spaces and office spaces all over the city, and businesses are continuously leaving their leases.
WHAT CAN THE CITY COUNCIL DO TO HELP SPUR ECONOMIC GROWTH? with Tax Incentives, relax regulations, zoning and codes. Have a master plan for each district and neighborhoods to attract more businesses to move in.
ARE THERE ANY DECISIONS THE CURRENT CITY COUNCIL HAS MADE THAT YOU STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH? PLEASE LIMIT ANSWERS TO 3 ITEMS. SAWS rate increases, CPS rate increases, and Zoning/Code changes that directly affect small businesses.
WHAT ITEMS/PROGRAMS WOULD YOU CUT FROM THE CURRENT CITY BUDGET? Comprehensive review in all City Budget programs and wasteful spending in all areas. I will not discriminate on any city program that needs budgets cuts!..
DID YOU VOTE IN FAVOR OF OR AGAINST THE NEW PRE-K 4 S.A. PROGRAM? WHY? I did not voted for it.
· Research on pre-k education fails to show lasting impact on student achievement and other outcomes, despite what city staff claims, that "the evidence is clear".
· The city chose pre-k education as the most effective strategy for building "a more skilled work force," despite the complete lack of evidence that this happened.
· The City has no training or expertise in education from which to select consultants, curriculum and hire an education director and master teachers.
· The city pre-k program duplicates education opportunities for 4-year-olds already being provided in the Independent school districts serving San Antonio, TX.
· The city presumes without evidence or track record that it can do better what the school districts are already doing. Head Start, which the city contracts to other providers, has been a complete failure by the government own evaluations.
· The city has not evaluated the effectiveness of pre-k programs in the school districts. How will it know that its plan will address the deficiencies?
· The city assumes that full day pre-k will result in more significant outcomes than half day, but there is no research evidence to support this assumption.
· The city's publish plans to expand their control over Early Learning Programs birth to 5 is out of touch with the desires and family values of the San Antonio community.
WHAT MORE SHOULD THE CITY DO TO LOWER GANG ACTIVITY AND CRIME IN SAN ANTONIO? Kids that are in gangs are looking for a family to belong to, because they lack that family that will guide them well. The solution is complex and has gone through much thought process through many councils in our city. But yet we have not address the vital source of why we have gangs and young adults committing crime and graffiti. My proposal is to strengthen family values and promote an environment for these kids to mature, and participate in a positive manner in our city. They want to be noticed and to be a positive element in society, we only need to guide them.
ARE THERE ANY MAJOR INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE CITY UNDERTAKE? Yes, a mayor infrastructure Master Plan for an avenue with promenades, nice lighting, street signage, sidewalks, avenue center mall, and landscaping all along Bandera. These for my District mainly, that is why I'm running, to represent the people, and businesses of District 7!.. I want to attract businesses to District 7.