SAN ANTONIO -

A fire at the San Antonio Zoo has killed a Komodo dragon and two other animals and forced zoo officials to take several animals out of their enclosures, according to SAFD officials.

The fire was reported around 6 a.m. by a zoo employee and a security guard who smelled smoke coming from the reptile area at the zoo.

Fire crews found the fire inside the Komodo dragon enclosure. They worked to put out the fire as zoo officials used cages to remove the animals. One of the animals removed was a 22-foot long python.

Zoo officials later determined one of the Komodo dragons, a lizard and a snake had died in the fire. All the other animals from the reptile area were taken away from the smoke.

San Antonio firefighters said the fire appeared to be electrical in nature and may have been caused by a heating unit in the Komodo dragon enclosure. Damage estimates were unknown and no other injuries were reported.