SAN ANTONIO -

Authorities say a 50-year-old San Antonio man accused of sexually assaulting a child was arrested Thursday in Los Angeles.

U.S. Marshals said an arrest warrant was issued for Barry Dewayne Smith pursuant to an investigation by the San Antonio Police Department on charges for sexual assault of a child.

On June 27, officials said Smith was formally indicted by a grand jury in Bexar County on allegations of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl. A warrant for Smith's arrest was issued the same day.

Shortly after the alleged incident, authorities said Smith assumed the name Muhummad Raashad Ali, before fleeing the state.

In July, the U.S. Marshals Service Lone Star Fugitive Task Force Cold Case Squad said it was contacted by SAPD for help in the search for Smith. Task force officers initiated an investigation and discovered that Smith had previously fled from San Antonio to Inglewood, Calif.

Authorities determined Thursday afternoon through investigative efforts that Smith was employed in Los Angeles.

Task force officers conducted a brief surveillance and later saw Smith at a local convenience store. Authorities said officers approached Smith, identified themselves and arrested him without incident.

"I am thoroughly impressed with the investigative skills, persistence, and determination of our new Lone Star Fugitive Task Force Cold Case Squad," said Robert R. Almonte, United States Marshal for the Western District of Texas.

"Along with the collaborative efforts of the Pacific Southwest Regional Fugitive Task Force, another sexual predator can prey on children no more," Almonte added. "He tried to run, he tried to hide, he even changed his name, but he was captured and he will be held accountable for his actions."

Smith is currently being held in custody at the Orange County Jail awaiting extradition to San Antonio.