The suspect accused of shooting a San Antonio police officer in the head and entering into an hours-long standoff with police in a downtown motel surrendered without incident and has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon against a public servant.

Police spokesman Sgt. Javier Salazar said 38-year-old Melvin McKinney shot 34-year-old Officer Aaron Terrazas in the head Monday morning.

According to Chief William McManus, officers responded to a family disturbance call at the Super 8 Motel at 1614 North St. Mary's Street at 7:53 a.m., when someone opened the door to the hotel room, then fired several shots at the officer.

Terrazas was struck in the head and was taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center. The officer, an 8-year veteran of the force, is expected to survive, McManus said.

Hostage negotiators spent nearly nine hours negotiating with McKinney before he surrendered peacefully just before 5 p.m.

Salazar said McKinney was not injured during his surrender, nor were any other officers injured during the ordeal.

According to the arrest affidavit, McKinney's wife called police shortly before 8 a.m. Monday saying her husband had assaulted her and was staying at the motel.

She also told officers McKinney had a gun.

Terrazas and a second officer knocked on the door of McKinney's room and, according to the affidavit, a shot was fired through the door.

The two officers backed away when a second shot was fired and Terrazas was hit in the head. 

As police were securing the scene at the motel, the arrest affidavit details that McKinney's sister arrived and told officers that she had spoken with her brother over the phone and he wanted police to kill him.

McKinney has a previous criminal history that includes drug and assault charges. 

McManus cited the great work of SWAT negotiators in getting the suspect to surrender peacefully.

"Obviously, it was a very long day for (the officers)," McManus said. "They've had to show a lot of patience ... waiting for him to give up. It's all training. It's all experience. And everybody up there today -- all the SWAT guys, the EMS personnel -- they all did a great job today."

As a precaution, Providence and Central Catholic high schools, which are located nearby, were placed under lockdown.

Standoff causes traffic snarls

One of the big problems caused by this situation was the traffic in and around the hotel.

The upper level of Interstate 35, which overlooks the hotel, was shut down for hours. Soon after the man surrendered, I-35 re-opened.

Surface streets in the area were also cordoned off in the are near where St. Mary's and Quincy streets intersect, including Camden.

As a result of all the closures, traffic to and from downtown, and on many surface streets, slowed considerably.

Shortly after 5 p.m., traffic had resumed normal flow.

IMAGES: SAPD officer shot at hotel

Published On: Sep 09 2013 09:00:07 AM CDT   Updated On: Sep 09 2013 09:17:58 AM CDT

Images of an officer-involved shooting at a hotel that sent an SAPD officer to the hospital with a gunshot wound.

SAPD officer involved shooting
1 / 7