SAN ANTONIO - With temperatures expected to soar above 100 this weekend, San Antonio police and fire officials have issued the following tips for keeping cool and staying safe:
· Keep hydrated! Drink water every half hour, even if you don't feel thirsty. Limit caffeine, alcohol and sugary drinks.
· Wear light-colored, loose fitting clothing.
· Avoid sudden changes in temperature (for instance, air out your vehicle before entering.)
. NEVER leave a child or a pet unattended in a vehicle, even if for a short period of time!
· Try to stay in the shade between noon and 4 p.m. as much as possible. If you must be in the sun, take frequent breaks to cool off.
· If the temperature is very high, reduce your outdoor activities to fifteen minutes at a time.
· Know the symptoms of heat related injury which may include headache, dizziness, nausea, or pale skin.
If you recognize any of these symptoms in someone immediately move them to a cooler environment. Spray or sponge cool water onto their skin. If attempts to relieve symptoms fail or if vomiting and the appearance of sleepiness occur, call 911 for emergency medical assistance.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.