SAN ANTONIO -

A Northeast Side man has died and his father is struggling to stay alive after they both suffered smoke inhalation and burns during a fire in their home.

The father and son have been identified as David Herrera Sr., who is in his 40s, and 23-year-old David Herrera Jr.

“Everything happened so fast. One minute you just tell them goodnight and I love you and (then) your house is on fire," said daughter and sister Miranda Herrera.

The fire broke out before 5 a.m. Thursday at their home in the 4800 block of Castle Pine Drive, located between E. Midcrown Drive and Gibbs Sprawl Road, near Woodlake Parkway.

"When I saw my brother getting dragged out of there I freaked out. I was already freaking out from the beginning I couldn't even speak,” said Herrera.

Both Herreras were both rushed to San Antonio Military Medical Center for treatment.

Miranda Herrera, 19, was also in the home at the time of the fire. She was able to get out and call 911.

David Herrera Jr. later died at the hospital.

"My brother, he died of carbon monoxide but they say he did not suffer. They say he died peacefully in his sleep," Herrera said.

Family and friends and San Antonio firefighters gathered to board the home up Thursday afternoon.

"We're trying to get all the belongings that we can that are still salvageable, clothes, any valuables, things like that, so they can rebuild," said Steven Herrera.

Although they had not located the exact cause, fire investigators said they believe that it started in the living room and did not appear to be suspicious in nature.

"Have smoke detectors. Check them out. Make sure they work. Every time you change your clock, check your battery outlets. Don't plug too many things at one time," Steven Herrera said.

Miranda Herrera will stay with family as she hopes her father recovers and they can be reunited.