DPS offers the following tips for staying safe during severe winter weather:
- Monitor local weather broadcasts and follow up-to-the-minute weather conditions.
- On icy roads, drive slowly and increase distance required for stopping.
- Watch for downed trees and power lines across roads. If power is out, treat all intersections as four-way stops.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained before any trip.
- Keep your gas tank full.
In addition, here is a list of emergency supplies drivers can keep in their vehicle:
- Blankets/sleeping bags and extra clothing, mittens and hat
- Cell phone, radio, flashlight, extra batteries
- First-aid kit and pocket knife
- High calorie, non perishable food, bottled water
- Sack of sand or cat litter for de-icing roadway
- Windshield scraper, tool kit, booster cables, tow rope and shovel
For additional information regarding winter weather preparedness, click here.