Food thrown out after popular North Side cafe fails health inspection
Mama's Cafe & Bakery receives failing score of 67
SAN ANTONIO – A popular cafe on the city's North Side was forced to throw away several food items this month after they were found being stored at temperatures warmer than allowed by food safety standards.
Mama's Cafe & Bakery, in the 2400 block of Nacogdoches Road, received a failing score of 67 after a long list of violations that also included dirty food contact surfaces and multiple leaks in plumbing lines.
Mama's was ordered to go through a re-inspection and to pay a $103 re-inspection fee, according to Metropolitan Health Department records.
You can read the full report by searching the Metro Health website.
The San Antonio Metropolitan Health District's scoring of food establishments is based on a 100-point demerit system.
The inspection reports, which establishments are required to post in public view, feature a number score at the top and bottom of the front page. A separate placard with the number score and a letter grade (example: 100/A) is also available upon request from the food establishment. Posting the placard is voluntary.
- 100-90 = A (Very Good to Acceptable)
- 89-80 = B (Acceptable to Marginal)
- 79 or lower = C (Marginal to Poor)
- Metro Health indicates that scores of 69 or lower are failing scores.
Here are the latest scores:
- Brasa Chicken, 8523 Blanco Rd., 100
- El Mirasol, 10003 NW Military Hwy., 100
- La Montanita Mexican Restaurant, 4922 Rigsby Ave., 99
- What's It To Ya? Lounge, 5725 Evers Rd., 99
- Burger Boy, 2323 N. St. Mary's, 98
- Local Sprout, 503 Chestnut St., 98
- Dairy Queen, 1914 Jackson Keller, 97
- Fred's Fish Fry, 8264 Culebra Rd., 97
- Backyard on Broadway, 2411 Broadway, 96
- Chela's Tacos, 3420 N. St. Mary's, 96
- L Taco, 12311 Nacogdoches Rd., 95
- Taqueria Jimador, 8754 Grissom Rd., 93
- Sushi Express, 12055 Vance Jackson, 90
- Tink-A-Taco, 5895 Babcock Rd., 90
- Yum Thai Restaurant, 5511 W. FM 1604 North, 86
- El Novillero Grill, 12400 Nacogdoches Rd., 82
- El Bosque Restaurant, 12656 West Ave., 81
- Jack in the Box, 11729 Bandera Rd., 78
- El Pollo Loco, 151 W. Bitters Rd., 74
- Mama's Cafe & Bakery, 2442 Nacogdoches Rd., 67
Didn't find the score you're looking for? Check out more restaurant scores by clicking here.
For food establishment complaints in the city of San Antonio, send an email to Metro Health or call 210-207-8853.
Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.