SAN ANTONIO – When visiting San Antonio there are plenty of options when it comes to food. San Antonio over the past five years has grown into a food city and the scene is constantly heating up with new restaurants and chefs.
If you are looking for affordable, hidden gems we got you covered as well.
Here is a look at five places everyone should try.
1. Mia Marco's Pizza (5016 FM-1518): This is really some of the best pizza you will ever try. The New York style pizza has been a hit since owners Derek Sanchez and Joey Hernandez opened this food truck The duo even placed 12 this year in a world pizza competition.
2. Gilbert's Mexican Restaurant (8161 Latigo Plz): The Javi Special is one-of-a-kind. Carne guisada is the filling and the gravy covers the enchiladas on top. Not only will you get a plate full of great food but it's all at a very affordable cost. Gilbert himself will stop by and say hello, and he may even sing you a song.
3. King's Hwy Brew & Q (1012 N Flores): BBQ is a staple in Texas and can be found all over San Antonio but here you will get a bit of San Antonio flavors with your barbecue. The atmosphere will also take you back to a family cookout, where everyone is just enjoying some great food.
4. Picnikins Patio Cafe (5811 University Hts.): The poblano soup has become a San Antonio favorite. This small cafe has grown to two locations in the past couple of years. It's a great place to stop by for lunch but also changes things up a bit for dinner.
5. Mad Mack's Burger Co. (2933 Roosevelt Ave.): If you are looking for a classic cheeseburger this is the place to go. This family operated restaurant is sticking to tradition but putting out one of the best burgers in San Antonio.