Texas Girl Hospitalized After Being Stung by 'Most Poisonous Caterpillar' in U.S., Mom Say

Copyright (c) 2018 CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.

A 5-year-old Texas girl was hospitalized after being stung by a highly poisonous caterpillar known as an asp.

Lauren Chambers was devastated to get a call from her daughter Adrie's day care that she couldn't move her arm, she told told local station KXAS-TV.

"They said that she had been stung by the most poisonous caterpillar in the United States,” Chambers said.

It's believed that the caterpillar fell from a tree overhead while Adrie was playing outside. 

Fortunately, employees quickly removed the spines from the sting, saving Adrie the worst of the caterpillar's symptoms. 

“They said if that had not happened it could actually cause her whole body to go numb and start shutting down,” Chambers said.

Pain from the sting can be similar to that of a broken bone. Other symptoms include swelling, upset stomach, numbness, and, in some cases, difficulty breathing. 

RELATED STORIES

Highly Venomous Spider Missing Following Philadelphia Insect Museum Heist

Hikers Stranded in Florida Everglades Survive Despite Gators and Venomous Snakes

Dogs Save Woman's Grandchildren From Venomous Snake Attack: 'Slayer's My Boy'

Copyright (c) 2018 CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.