(LAKANA) – Heading into a weekend with fireworks and holiday celebrations, it's important to remember to take care of your family pet.
Fireworks can be "terrifying and overwhelming for pets, and possibly hazardous," according to The Humane Society of the United States.
The Humane Society reports seeing an increase in lost animals during the Fourth of July.
The organization offers the following tips to keep your pet safe:
Keep pets away from fireworks - Pets can be sensitive to loud noise, flashes of light and smells. Keep your pet indoors with the radio or TV on to drown out the firework noise. Veterinarians can also suggest medications and other ways to help pets cope with anxieties.
Keep pets out of sun for too long - Pets can get heat stroke, if they are out too long in high temperatures. The Humane Society cautions heat stroke can become "deadly very quickly."
Make sure your pet has a collar and ID - Pets may still try to run away when they hear firework noise. Having an ID or microchip helps owners find their missing pet.