HEB Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Bisque
Magic can happen when you roast acorn squash and apples
Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Bisque
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 60 minutes
- 2 ea. acorn squash
- 2 ea. Fuji apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup HEB Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4 cups HEB Organics Veggie Stock
- 2 tbsp. Ottavio Private Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg, (fresh grated is best)
- As needed salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Cut the acorn squash in half and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Thinly slice peeled and cored apples and place them on the same sheet pan. If they cannot fit, place them on a separate lined pan. Roast squash & apples for 30-45min or until acorn squash skins can be easily pierced with a fork, and the apples are soft and turning brown. Remove from oven to cool.
3. In a large pot, add the olive oil, onions and garlic. Sauté until the onion and garlic just start to turn color. Add the sliced roasted apples to the hot oil.
4. Scoop the seeds out of the acorn squash and discard, then add the flesh into the same pot and stir fry all ingredients for 2-3min. Add the Veggie stock and bring to a simmer.
5. Use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients until smooth then add in the heavy cream and nutmeg. Bring mixture back up to a simmer. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. (You will need to add at least a tsp of salt and pepper to balance out the sweetness).
Perfect Wine Pairing: Martin Ray RR Chardonnay