Texas Gulf Shrimp and Snapper Cioppino
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 lbs ea. Gulf Red Snapper, diced into pieces and whole Gulf Shrimp (any size shrimp you prefer)
- 4 cups HEB Organic Veggie Stock
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups HEB Texas Heritage Pecan Smoked Beef Sausage, sliced up.
- 1 cup fresh fennel, roughly chopped.
- 1 cup dry white wine, or dry Vermouth
- 1 cup clam Juice
- ½ cup shallots, chopped.
- ¼ cup fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ cup ea. fresh Italian parsley and basil, chopped.
- 3 ea. dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp. *crushed red pepper flakes (*Optional if you don’t like spice)
- As needed Ottavio Private Reserve Extra Virgin Olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. In a bowl combine the cherry tomatoes, chopped fennel, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and about 1-2 tbsp. of Olive oil. Toss to combine and place in an oven safe dish.
3. Roast in the oven for 20-30min just long enough for the fennel to start to caramelize and the onions to blister. Remove from the oven and pour the roasted contents into a blender and pulse until smooth. Reserve for use as the tomato puree.
4. In a large pot or Dutch oven add about 2 tbsp. of olive oil and toss in the shallot, garlic, red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt and bay leaves. Stir fry in the oil for 4-5min or until the onions and garlic just start to reach a tan color. Add in the sausage and stir fry 2-3min before adding the white wine. Allow the white wine to reduce almost completely dry, then add in the clam juice, veggie stock, and tomato puree. Allow the liquid to come to a simmer (skim off any foam that rises to the top of the liquid). Once your mixture has reached a gentle simmer allow to cook for about 25-30min. Just before serving add in your fresh herbs and seafood and allow to cook until the shrimp is pink and curled into a “C” and snapper is fully cooked (about 5-8min). Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve immediately with crusty bread or over rice.
Perfect Wine Pairing: Blazon Pinot Noir