Family of woman killed crossing road seeks driver, apology

Christy Pines, 53, struck on Walzem Road last Saturday


SAN ANTONIO – A local woman in a motorized wheelchair was killed over the weekend as she attempted to cross Walzem Road.

The family of 53-year-old Christy Pines spoke to KSAT about their ordeal and how their faith and forgiveness are helping them get through.

They said Pines was a woman who loved her family and her faith. "She loved people, she loved giving," said Frances Allen, Pines' mother. "She would always give to people and I hope that's a legacy she will leave behind."

Pines had been confined to a motorized wheelchair after diabetes took her legs a few years back.

On Saturday, she had a meal at a Jack in the Box, told an employee 'God bless you' and then made her way towards Walzem.

"She left out of there and was going to the bus stop," Allen said. "She crossed the street because she dropped something in the street and she went down to pick it up when a car hit her."

Police said that driver stopped to help, but a second vehicle who also struck Pines did not.

The family said they are forgiving and hopes the second driver will come forward. "It's a sad case and we're just asking for an apology," said Jessie Jackson, Christy's friend. "And if he's out there, or she, whoever it may be, if they could just come forward."

As her family and friends prepare for Christy's funeral, they said they will do so with a sense of peace, knowing Christy is still with them in spirit.

"God knows best, there's nothing that we can do, we just hope that she wasn't in any pain when she got hit," Allen said. "There's nothing we can do. But in my heart, I'm still grieving, but God has helped me, give me strength."

"I feel a void, a loss, but I understand she's at a better place," Jackson said. "I know God loves her and I know she was saved, and that's the main thing." 

Investigators are still searching for the driver of that second vehicle which is described as a black SUV. Anyone with information is asked to call police.