Lightning sparks home, business fires
SAFD: No reported injuries from Tuesday morning fires
SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio firefighters responded to a number of fires Tuesday morning believed to have started because of lightning.
A Northwest Side house located at 5 Pembroke Place near Babcock road caught fire around 2 a.m.
The homeowner heard a lightning strike and suspected her home was on fire.
"I went to look and I see some lights coming from the corner and I start yelling and screaming and calling 911," the homeowner said.
The couple inside the home and their dog managed to get out without any injuries.
Fire officials said flames were mostly contained to the roof. Fire officials did not give a damage estimate.
Firefighters responded to a fire at an apartment complex on the Northwest Side after smoke was seen coming from a building. The complex is located in the 1700 block of Jackson Keller.
According to fire officials, it appeared lightning hit the roof of one of the buildings.
Firefighters put out the fire in about 40 minutes.
Fire officials said there was minimal damage to the building and no injuries were reported.
And lightning is blamed for some damage at a hair salon on the Northeast Side.
Yes Cuts in the 10000 block of Perrin-Beitel had its windows blown out after a lightning strike hit the building, fire officials said. The high winds also caused tree limbs to scatter.
Firefighters said nobody was in the building at the time and no injuries were reported.
Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.