SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Independent School District began its Head Start roundup Tuesday morning for the 2012-13 school year.
Parents whose children qualify are encouraged to apply at the Alamo Stadium Convocation Center, located at 110 Tuleta Dr.
The roundup period ends Saturday, March 24.
Operating hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday.
To qualify, children must be 3 or 4 years old on or before September 1. Children will be selected based upon need.
Parents are required to bring the following documents:
• Child's Social Security card
• Child's birth certificate
• Child's up-to-date immunization record
• 2011 tax return, W-2, or proof of income for the past 12 months
• Current proof of residency in SAISD, such as CPS, SAWS, home phone bill, or lease (bill holder must be present to verify address)
• Photo ID
If the following applies, parents must also bring these documents:
• Unemployment compensation
• Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
• Social Security Benefit
• Earned Income
• Conservatorship Care
• Foster Care
• Kinship Care
• Child Support
• Spousal Support
• Students Grants
• Other Income
• Disability Documentation
SAISD expects to finalize the majority of the enrollment selection by early May, with the remainder of the enrollment and parent notification completed by the end of June. The SAISD Head Start program serves 2,625 local children.
For more information on how to apply, call (210) 554-2410, or visit SAISD's web site.