Mold, rodent droppings top list of violations
Taqueria El Ranchito, The Grasshopper Club fail inspection
SAN ANTONIO – Two San Antonio-area restaurants failed their recent health inspections with a combined 68 demerits.
Taqueria El Ranchito is located outside Loop 1604 in Von Ormy. The south Bexar County restaurant failed their latest inspection with 34 demerits.
- The inspector reported several violations including rodent droppings in rice, mold in the ice machine, and dirty knives stored with clean utensils.
KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door called Taqueria El Ranchito and the manager was not in. A waitress says things look good at the restaurant. She added they are still waiting for a follow-up inspection.
The Grasshopper Club on Marbach does not serve food, but the bar still wound up with 34 demerits.
- Black debris and mold was found on ice in the ice machine.
- Some beverages were contaminated by rancid water in an ice chest.
- The bartender was not washing their hands because there's no hand washing sink at the bar. The inspector wants one installed.
KSAT's Behind the Kitchen Door spoke to the owner Tuesday evening. He says the health inspectors have been back several times and many of the violations were corrected immediately, including the issues with the ice machines.
He says he's reached a compromise on the hand washing sink with the health department and the bar is nowhere near as bad as the score represents.
The following restaurants received zero demerits on their recent inspection:
- Church's Chicken on Goliad.
- Jalapeno Joe's on Moursund.
- Pacific Moon off 281 in the Brook Hollow Shopping Center.
- Taco Cabana on Interstate 10 at DeZavala.
Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.