Downtown hotel evacuated days after airport incident
SAPD: Same caller might be behind latest bomb hoax
SAN ANTONIO – Three days after last week's disruptive bomb hoax at San Antonio International Airport, SAPD reports a bomb threat just before noon on Monday was called into the Sheraton Gunter Hotel in the heart of downtown -- possibly by the same person.
Sgt. Javier Salazar, SAPD spokesman, said the calls were made in a foreign accent.
"Whether it's the same accent, I couldn't speak to that," Salazar said. "I certainly would hate to speculate too much on that, but it's certainly a possibility it's the same person, or maybe not."
Salazar said Monday's caller contacted the Sheraton Gunter, claiming that a bomb would go off within the hour.
He said the person even said he'd been to the hotel's swimming pool and restaurant.
Salazar said nothing was found after a thorough search of those areas, as well as the entire hotel that was evacuated as a precaution.
Once again, Salazar said emergency services had to be mobilized in the event the threat was real, much like the incident last Wednesday at the airport.
He said investigators are going through any possible evidence, including a call to KSAT 12 News last Friday by a man who claimed responsibility for the bomb hoax at the airport.
"There is somewhat of a cavalier type attitude that some of these people are taking in contacting the media," Salazar said.
He said it could be a copycat or the actual suspect, "but we're certainly trying to make that determination at this point."
Copyright 2012 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.