Family searching for new home in wake of fire

Southeast side family devastated by fire needs new home


SAN ANTONIO – A Southeast side family is slowly beginning the recovery process after a fire that destroyed their home in the 800 block of Sewanee Street Sunday morning.

Firefighters said a space heater that got too close to flammable items sparked the fire around 7 a.m. in a bedroom where three young children usually sleep.

Enrique Castro, the grandfather of those children, said 15 people in all lived in the residence. He said they included his daughter and her children, as well as other extended family members. Six of the 15 are children, including two newborns, he said.

"I think right now they're OK, but they're still waiting for more help," Castro said. "I appreciate all the help for my family."

Castro returned to the ruins along with his daughter and wife Monday morning to salvage a set of spare tires. But he said there wasn't much more than could be pulled from the ashes.

The family lost everything, including clothing, cribs for the babies and their pet dogs, Castro said.

While the American Red Cross has provided the family with a temporary place to stay, Castro said his daughter needs a permanent home.

He said the motel room that has been provided is good for only four nights, and he fears his children and grandchildren could be homeless for the holiday.