Chase suspect killed, Bexar County deputy hurt

Deputy Manny Herrera shot twice before suspect fled


A man involved in the shooting of a Bexar County Sheriff's deputy is dead following a manhunt in northeast Bexar County, officials said.

The shooting occurred around 2:30 p.m. Friday near the intersection of Old Cimarron Trail and Gibbs Sprawl Road.

Hollywood Park police earlier attempted to stop a man driving a stolen vehicle, but were unable.

According to Bexar County Sheriff Susan Pamerleau, Deputy Manny Herrera began following the suspect in the stolen vehicle.

The suspect, who officials said was a passenger in the stolen car, ran a red light and crashed into another vehicle.

"He got out of the car and pulled out a gun," said Michael Franklin, whose girlfriend was in the car the suspect crashed into. "He just got out and started firing at the deputy for no reason."

Herrera was struck once in the arm and once in the leg, but is expected to be okay.

Herrera was reportedly conscious and breathing as he was loaded onto an ambulance to be taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center, where Pamerleau said he is going to be "just fine."

The shooter fled in Herrera's Chevrolet Tahoe, leading authorities on a brief chase before ditching the vehicle at Shawnee Bluff and Schumann Road and fleeing on foot.

The manhunt, comprising of Bexar County Sheriff's deputies, San Antonio police and Department of Public Safety troopers, focused in Converse and Universal City, where the suspect was found in a mobile home park on Kitty Hawk Road.

Pamerleau said the man turned on officers and that's when San Antonio police, who were on foot pursuit, fired on the suspect, striking him multiple times.

The man was died at the scene. His name has not been released, but San Antonio police Chief William McManus described him as being Hispanic, in his early to mid-20s and approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall.

A woman who was detained during the manhunt was determined to have been the driver of the car that was struck by the suspect during the chase.

This is the second officer in the BCSO ranks to be shot this month. Another deputy was shot while serving a warrant—he also survived.

This is also the second major police chase in Universal City this month. Just two weeks ago, five suspects fled police after allegedly committing two home invasions. All were arrested without incident.

"Law enforcement is a dangerous job," said Pamerleau. "Our officers are expected to perform in these kinds of situations and all involved did so admirably today."

For a list of recent stories Matt Rivers has done, click here.