Police: Gunman at Bush Airport planned event for months

Carnell Marcus Moore of Beaumont attempted kidnapping earlier this week

Carnell Marcus Moore/Photo from Facebook
Carnell Marcus Moore/Photo from Facebook

HOUSTON – The man who shot himself at Bush Intercontinental Airport had been planning the event for "quite some time," Houston police said at a press conference Friday.

Carnell Marcus Moore, 29,  of Beaumont, entered the airport at 1:35 p.m. Thursday.

Police said Moore walked in before the security checkpoint, fired a shot into the ceiling and then allegedly shot himself. The incident happened near the ticketing counter in the pre-screening area of Terminal B of the busy airport.

According to investigators, Moore destroyed computers and computer hard drives at his home. Earlier this week, he had attempted to kidnap a female co-worker from the Beaumont apartment building where he worked as a maintenance man. Investigators said he had an infatuation with the woman. His alleged plan was to take the woman to a Houston hotel, but she was able to "talk him out of it," according to police. Instead, he drove himself to a Houston hotel where he stayed Wednesday night.

Police also said that Moore carried a bag into Bush Airport, which contained an AR-15 assault rifle, a Gideons Bible from the hotel, and a suicide note that "asked for forgiveness." The note also contained information suggesting that Moore was struggling with whether he should take his own life or kill others in the terminal. The note also suggested the airport shooting had been planned for months.

Investigators said Moore never used the AR-15 assault rifle, but shot a Glock handgun two times: once into the ceiling of the airport; the second may have been the fatal shot. The exact cause of Moore's death will be determined by an autopsy, according to the Harris County Medical Examiner.

New information from police also said that a Homeland Security Special Agent shot Moore in the shoulder.

His Chevrolet Silverado truck was parked outside of Terminal B since noon, according to police.

 "The suspect entered the terminal about 1:35 p.m. just inside the departure area," said Kese Smith, an HPD spokesman. "He discharged his weapon one time into the ceiling. A Homeland Security Special Agent heard the shot from a nearby office. He came out and confronted the suspect. The agent gave the suspect verbal commands to drop the weapon." The spokesman said that the suspect was still armed when he turned toward the special agent. The special agent then discharged his weapon "fearing for his safety and that of the passengers in the terminal. At the same time, it appears the suspect may have shot himself," said Smith.

Investigators are looking into where Moore purchased the rifle and gun. Initial reports are that the guns may have come from a Beaumont pawn shop.

Moore's Facebook page remained online Friday with three recent postings: "This Life Will Crash Tomorrow!" and "I recently had the chance of staring death in the face, and she was beautiful." The most recent said: "45 minutes and 59 seconds in God's Shadow and Time Stops."