Would-be victim of sexual assault suspect relieved by arrest

Woman says Corey Gabriel attacked her in bed with kids nearby

A North Side woman who had an encounter with sexual assault suspect Corey Gabriel, 23, said she is relieved to hear of his most recent arrest.

The woman, who wanted to be identified only as "Heather," said Gabriel broke into her apartment on Redland Road early one morning in August.

"I was sleeping pretty hard and I felt somebody touch my bed covers," she said. "I started to scream and someone popped up and ran into my living room."

Heather said her two children, ages 7 and 10, were sleeping in the bed with her when she was attacked Aug. 30.

She believes her attacker got in through a window that may have been open.

According to a report from the San Antonio Police Department, officers who responded to a 911 call soon found the suspect, later identified as Gabriel, hiding beneath a truck in the apartment complex parking lot.

They arrested him on a charge of burglary.

The report stated that officers found cash and other items nearby that had been taken from Heather's home, as well as a back pack containing marijuana and a handgun.

After his arrest, detectives obtained DNA samples from Gabriel which were submitted to the Bexar County Criminal Investigation Lab, an arrest warrant affidavit stated.

Investigators said those samples came back as a match for DNA evidence that they already had on file from two separate attacks on other women, the affidavit stated.

Both of the other attacks happened on the northwest side of town early in the morning in October 2012, and involved women who were sexually assaulted at gunpoint in their own cars, the affidavit stated.

Gabriel, who had been released on bond following the burglary arrest, was taken into custody again last week.

Houston police and deputies with the U.S. Marshals Service arrested him near Houston on two counts of aggravated sexual assault.

Gabriel was brought back to San Antonio and booked into he Bexar County jail Tuesday. Bonds set for him total $800,000.

"I'm super thankful that they caught him and, more so, for those two ladies," said Heather.

The North Side resident said she is relieved by he news.

Although she said she will be sleeping soundly again, Heather also plans to be more vigilant when it comes to securing her home.

For a list of recent stories Katrina Webber has done, click here.

A video carousel is embedded here.