Four San Antonio restaurants make top 50 tacos list
3 of 4 local favorites are puffy tacos
It's a very personal choice -- but The Daily Meal thinks they've come up with a list of the 50 best tacos in the country.
The food site asked 200 of the nation's top food writers and "taco authorities" for their absolute favorite tacos.
"Tacos are a food that inspires fierce loyalty. Ask someone in Texas (Austin, in particular) where the country's best tacos are and they'll tell you've found it," says Dan Myers of The Daily Meal. But head to Los Angeles and you'll meet people convinced that there's nothing better than a perfectly fried fish taco. And you know what? They'll both be right."
Here's the top 10:
1) La Taquería, San Francisco: Carnitas Taco
2) Los Tacos No. 1, New York City: Adobada Taco
3) The Shed, Santa Fe, N.M.: Chicken with Green Chile Taco
4) Torchy's Tacos, various Texas Locations: Trailer Park Taco
5) El Real Tex-Mex Café, Houston: Chicken Puffy Taco
6) Mexicali Taco & Co., Los Angeles: Carne Asada Taco
7) Tito's Tacos, Culver City, Calif.: Tito's Taco with Cheese
8) La Super-Rica, Santa Barbara, Calif.: Adobado Taco
9) Chico's Tacos, El Paso, Texas: Chico's Taco
10) Birrieria Zaragoza, Chicago: Birria Tatemada Taco
Four San Antonio tacos made the list, three of which are puffy tacos. Those include Mi Tierra's Carnitas Michoacan Taco (#13), Henry's Puffy Tacos Spicy Beef Fajita Puffy Taco (#14), Ray's Drive Inn's Carne Guisada Puffy Taco (#24) and Taco Taco Café's Puffy Taco with Picadillo (#32).
Of course, the list doesn't include breakfast tacos. The Daily Meal says that's an entirely different food altogether.
You can see the entire list here -- and be sure to tell us your favorite taco in town in the comments.
Copyright 2014 by KSAT - All rights reserved.