97ºF

Benefit lunch held for slain teen

Quinton Jones, 18, shot and killed last week

SAN ANTONIO – Alisha Fry misses the father of her son and the man who she was going to marry, 18-year-old Quinton Jones. On Saturday, the family will hold a benefit lunch to raise money for his burial expenses.

"To raise money to kind of help for his funeral, get his family to New Orleans and to just be there for him," said Fry.

Jones was a boxer and would have been a senior at Roosevelt High School this fall. Last week he was gunned down near his Northeast Side home on Ray Bon Drive. Police have yet to arrest anyone for his murder.   

"He was your friend if you were his; people cared about him, people loved him. Whoever did it, he didn't deserve it," said Fry.

Debbie Martinez said Jones was like a son to her. She's hoping many people will come out to support the benefit and do more about stopping the violence in their neighborhoods. 

"In neighborhoods like this, it happens a lot and we struggle to get the funeral costs and get all those things done," said Martinez.

While the family continues to pray for peace, they hope someone will come forward to help bring closure to their lives.

"He cared a lot about people and tried to help people as much as he could," said Fry.

"It could be somebody else's son tomorrow or the next day and it's just terrible. We don't need that," said Martinez. 

The benefit for Jones is scheduled for Saturday at 6409 Walzem Road next to the Culebra Meat Market, from 11 a.m. until the food is gone.