Keeping your pets safe during the holidays
Animcal Care Services provides tips to keeping pets safe.
SAN ANTONIO – If you have your pets around this Thanksgiving, there are a few things you should know to ensure your pet's safety.
- Certain types of food should be kept away. Chocolate and raisins can be toxic to many animals.
- Don't give your pet food off the table, it can be hard on their stomachs and may lead to issues.
- Candies and gums with the artificial sweetner Xylitol can also be toxic to pets.
- Poultry bones, including turkey, are a choking hazard.
- Giving alcohol to a pet is dangerous and can be fatal.
- Play with your dog or cat at least twice a day. A tired pet is less likely to get into trouble.
- Unsure how your pet will react to all the new faces? Create a safe, comfortable place for your pet to relax.
If your pet does ingest something, call the Pet Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 or find the nearest pet emergency clinic.
Copyright 2014 by KSAT - All rights reserved.