SAFD: Man ignores smoke detectors, home burns
Homeowner was able to escape burning home
SAN ANTONIO – A San Antonio man was able to escape a fire at his home on the city's far Northwest Side Tuesday morning.
The fire broke out at the home in the 9300 block of Valley Gate.
San Antonio Fire Department Chief Charles Hood said the man told firefighters that heard the smoke detector but turned it off and went back to bed.
According to a neighbor, it was only after he started getting overwhelmed by smoke that the man got out.
Hood said the man suffered some minor burns and was checked out by paramedics.
Hood said the man's home has heavy smoke damage.
Hood said it's a reminder to investigate if your smoke detectors go off.
Copyright 2014 by KSAT - All rights reserved.