At least 24 arrested for alcohol-related charges overnight
9 charged with first DWI offense
SAN ANTONIO – Two dozen people were arrested for alcohol-related crimes over a 19-hour period from New Year's Eve into New Year's Day.
A search of booking records at the Bexar County Magistrate's Office showed 24 people booked on suspicion of drinking, then getting behind the wheel.
Among the arrests:
- Nine were charged with their first DWI
- Two were charged with their second DWI
- One was charged with a third DWI
- Seven were arrested for DWI with a blood-alcohol content of .15 or higher (a person is considered legally intoxicated with a BAC of .08)
- Two were charged with DWI with a child under the age of 15
- One was charged with DWI with a child under the age of 1
- One was charged with obstructing a highway-intoxication
- One was charged with intoxication assault
Law enforcement increased patrols over the holidays to crack down on drunk driving.
Bexar County has a "No-Refusal" policy for people suspected of DWI, meaning drivers are required to provide breath or blood samples. From Oct. 1, 2013 through Oct. 1, 2014, the District Attorney's Office listed the following results of the "No-Refusal" policy:
The 2014 No Refusal Grant year began on October 1, 2013. The 2014 year end DWI arrests total:
- 5,434 DWI 1st offense(which includes: DWI 1st, DWI open container, and DWI blood alcohol content .15 and greater)
- 1,021 DWI 2nd offense
- 687 DWI 3rd offense, or more
- 139 DWI with child passenger (younger than 15)
- 30 Intoxication assaults
- 11 Intoxication manslaughters
- 7,322 Total DWI arrests, with blood draws in 3,535 of those cases
Copyright 2015 by KSAT - All rights reserved.