64ºF

Burglars target vehicles at Mission Concepcion Sports Park

Archdiocese of San Antonio planning security changes following break-ins

SAN ANTONIO – What was supposed to be a fun-filled weekend of sports in San Antonio turned into a big headache for Thomas Langdon and his daughters.

They made the trip down from Austin to attend a two-day swim meet and a volleyball tournament.

Their plans got spiked when Langdon's truck was hit by burglars at the volleyball tournament at Mission Concepcion Sports Park located in the 700 block of East Theo Avenue.

"I got word at about 5 that afternoon, that anyone who was parked out by the softball fields had better go out there and check on their vehicles because there had been some break-ins," Langdon said by phone Tuesday.

When Langdon got to his truck he saw the damage.

"I turned around shattered window and probably $1,700 worth of belongings were gone," Langdon said. "All of my daughters swimming gear, racing suits etc., was stolen, my medication was stolen. Nothing that anyone would find terribly useful."

The items were in overnight bags, left in the truck because the family had not had a chance to check into a hotel before the volleyball tournament got underway Saturday afternoon.

They quickly learned they weren't the only victims.

"The head coach for the other team from our group had her truck broken into," Langdon said. "As I was filling out my police report there was a lady standing by me filling out one as well."

Upset about his experience, Langdon left a negative review on the park's Facebook page and it got plenty of responses.

"Someone stated on there, there had been 16 break-ins there just this weekend. Another respondent claims there had been six break-ins the previous weekend," Langdon said.

A manager for the facility, which is owned by the Archdiocese of San Antonio, said they were overwhelmed and surprised by the number of break-ins.

Deacon Pat Rodgers, a spokesman for the Archdiocese, said they offer security to groups who sign contracts to hold events at the facility but it's up to them to accept the security and pay for it. In this case, Rodgers said, the organizer of the volleyball tournament did not request the security option.

The Archdiocese said it will now likely require security for all events at the facility, and they are planning to make other changes to avoid more problems and increase security but that's too little too late for Langdon and the other victims.

"Anything they do to fix this issue won't happen soon enough for me or our team or apparently a whole lot of other people that are out," Langdon said. "I can assure you, no matter what the future security situation is at Mission Concepcion, I will not be returning."


About the Author: