Generator blamed for house fire
Homeowner was asleep when fire started in 1200 block of Alexander Hamilton
A generator that was being used to run some electrical equipment in a home overheated and started a house fire Wednesday morning on the city's Northwest Side.
When firefighters arrived at a home in the 1200 block of Alexander Hamilton around 7 a.m., they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the back of the structure.
A man who lives at the home said he thinks the fire started at 4 a.m. while he was sleeping.
San Antonio Fire Department Battalion Chief Armando Perez said the homeowner used the generator because the utilities in the home weren't in service.
Perez said this is not the first time fire crews have seen this happen.
"This is similar to the one we had last week where somebody was running a generator," Perez said. "The small ones aren't made for continuous use."
No injuries were reported.
A damage estimate wasn't immediately available.
Copyright 2015 by KSAT - All rights reserved.