77ºF

Parents protest to keep students in Fiesta Flambeau Parade

2015 Fiesta Flambeau Parade scheduled for April 25

SAN ANTONIO – Some San Antonio parents and community leaders are outraged after a recent decision to eliminate local high school cheerleaders, dance teams, drill teams, pep squads and service teams from participating in the Fiesta Flambeau Parade.

They are calling the move unfair, and on Tuesday they gathered in front of City Hall asking the city to do something about it.

"Our Board of Trustees have unanimously voted to send a resolution asking that the Fiesta Flambeau association reconsider its decision," said Ed Garza, SAISD school board president.

Alondra Medina is a senior at Edison high school and was looking forward to participating in the Fiesta Flambeau Parade this year. Just as she has the last three years until her coach broke the news that the cheerleaders were not going to be a part of it this year.

"We were disappointed," said Medina. "Especially, the seniors, because it's our last year, so we really wanted to enjoy it."

As far as the reasoning for the changes, the association has cited that the parade had become so successful that it was too long for television coverage and that there was a safety issue with the staging area near the parade route here on Broadway.

"We disagree that the students of the various spirit groups should be the ones to be the solution to this problem by not being allowed to participate," said Garza.

Some believe national entries are getting preference over local entries.

"The parade is for our city," said Yvette Lizarraga, a parent of a cheerleader. "It's for our people that are here cheering for our different organizations. We are here to see our children and our locals come and have a good time and when you see those kids coming down the street, it's part of what you are here for."

KSAT reached out to the Fiesta organizers on Tuesday night, but did not get a response.

This year's parade is scheduled for April 25.


About the Author: