Major fire displaces dozens of hotel guests on NW Side
Fire breaks out at Fiesta Inn and Suites on NW Loop 410
SAN ANTONIO – A fire at Northwest Side hotel displaced dozens of guests early Friday morning.
San Antonio fire crews responded to the fire around 3 a.m. at the Fiesta Inn and Suites in the 4900 block of NorthWest Loop 410.
Fire officials said the fire affected about 35 hotel rooms or apartments. Guests or residents in about 85 different units were evacuated.
"We were asleep and we just heard a lot of noise and smoke alarms," said Maria Lopez, who was among the evacuees.
Many of the people who were forced out of their rooms said they were staying in the motel long-term.
"We're running on our last dollars, and we got a room here, and we're really hoping that something like this wouldn't happen, because we've heard reviews and everything, and now for this to happen in the middle of the night," said Armando Martinez, a hotel resident.
The fire not only forced people out of their rooms, but also affected their routine.
"I just wish I could get some sleep, pretty much. I have to work in the morning, so ... pretty frustrating," said Pedro Villa, a hotel guest.
"Now, I'm in a situation where I have to go to work, and I can't go to work right now. It's just stressful," said Lynda Prado, a hotel guest.
Crews were forced to take a cautious approach to fighting the fire because part of the hotel is under construction and firefighters were not initially able to locate where the fire was coming from. They went through rooms on the opposite side of the building to cut through the walls.
"That's a major challenge for us," said San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood. "As you can see, some of the stairwells, some of the balconies, some of those areas are under construction, so we're basically trying to find the fire."
Fire officials believe the fire was on the floor or in the walls and may have been electrical in nature.
Damage was estimated at $50,000 and no injuries were reported.
Some of the motel guests who were forced out of their rooms by the fire checked out of the motel, but motel staff was working to move those staying long-term into vacant rooms, fire officials said.
Copyright 2015 by KSAT - All rights reserved.