Slaying of Live Oak woman takes neighbors by surprise

Victor Salinas Yanes arrested in death of Jodie Salinas

LIVE OAK, Texas – The apparent murder of Live Oak resident Jodie Salinas, 30, has taken people in her neighborhood by surprise.

Live Oak police arrested Salinas' husband, Victor Salinas Yanes, 32, Tuesday after finding him inside his home in the 200 block of Lost Forest Drive along with her body. 

An arrest warrant affidavit stated that Salinas was found with a zip tie around her neck inside a bloody room. A bloody steel pipe was found nearby.

The affidavit stated that Salinas Yanes tried to commit suicide after the murder by drinking a mixture of bleach and weed killer.

As of late Wednesday morning, he had yet to be booked into jail and was still being treated at a hospital, police said.

Charlie Smith, who lives a few doors down, said he never suspected anything wrong between the couple.

"He seemed to be OK, has a night boat and a nice car and everything, Smith said. "And you could see him out there messing with the kids. You just never know how you can get so mad that you'd lose your total senses."

According to the affidavit, the couple had three children, who were not home at the time of the incident.

A relative of Jodie Salinas, however, said that her husband had threatened to kill his wife and their children on Friday.

The relative told police that the last time she heard from the victim, she told her she was on her way to the Live Oak home to drop off the children with her husband.

The affidavit stated that the relative became concerned and called police after she was unable to reach Jodie Salinas by phone.

Officers showed up at the home Tuesday morning and called for a SWAT team after they were unable to get anyone inside to respond.

Smith said police also went door to door, alerting him and his neighbors to the potential danger.

"They didn't know if he had a gun or what," Smith said. "They came to everybody in the neighborhood and told us to be cool, stay in your house. And they announced that, 'We're here to help you."

When police found Salinas Yanes inside the home, they said he was unable to talk much due to the suicide attempt.  

A detective said Wednesday morning that he was still being monitored by hospital personnel but is expected to survive.

About the Author: