Hays County releases updated flood, storm damage estimates
County reports more than 321 homes destroyed in Memorial Day weekend storms
HAYS COUNTY, Texas – Hays County officials released updated estimates Thursday, detailing the total damages sustained in the flooding and storms over Memorial Day weekend.
The county reported the following statistics:
- Homes destroyed: 321
- Homes with major damage: 322
- Homes with minor damage: 376
- Homes affected: 496
- Homes inspected and deemed not affected: 138
The county said the damage reports will change as residents register for federal disaster assistance.
Public assistance in the county remained listed at $33 million Thursday. Damage numbers for businesses have not been made available.
County officials are urging residents affected by the storms to register for federal disaster assistance. Grants; temporary housing; low-interest, long-term loans; unemployment assistance; and reimbursement of medical, dental and funeral costs incurred by the the weather events are all available to eligible residents, even those with insurance.
Residents can apply in person at the following locations seven days a week:
- Danforth Junior High -- 200 Texan Blvd., Wimberley -- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 501 E. Hopkins St., San Marcos (parking lot between Activity Center and Public Library) -- 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Blanco Gardens neighborhood -- 801 River Road, San Marcos -- 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Applications can also be submitted by phone at 800-621-3362 and 800-462-7585 from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Residents can also visit DisasterAssistance.gov to apply.
Copyright 2015 by KSAT - All rights reserved.